Butterick 5682 Trousers

I am super happy to announce that I finished my first pair of trousers!  They are not perfect, but they are really close!  I finished these trousers as part of my first assignment for Advanced Sewing at my college.  I started a pair of trousers for Clinton but I have not yet had a chance to sew it.  I got two jobs this semester and commute to school, so I have been roughing it this semester.  I did get a job as a teachers aide, which is super fun!  I grade papers, sew samples, and teach other students to sew.

I used the Butterick 5682 pattern.  It comes with a few different styles of jeans and a trouser pattern.  I sewed together option E.  I had to alter the pattern by slightly widening the hip area and of course shorten it because I am a small lady.  As part of the assignment we did a 3/8" french seams and I was able to use my serger for the other finished edges.

Some changes that I would want to make for next time:
  • Understitch the pockets: I stitched the side of the pockets, but the inside wants to peak out from time to time.  I think understitching them will help prevent this.
  • Decrease the seam allowance in the crotch:  The crotch area looked bunched and I had to clip it in the front to remove the bunching.  I think if the seam allowance is closer to the seam, it would reduce or remove the bunching altogether.

Front views.
Side view.
Back view.
Close up of the waistband.
Close up: Front view.
Close up: Pocket.
  Close up: Inside and front views.
 Close up: Inside and back view.
 Close up: Hem ready and blind stitch.
~Jam

Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment